Tuesday, July 12, 2011

the world called Friendship

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly 
not born until they arrive.
- Anais Nin


This quote doesn't seem like that big of deal but I was contemplating it recently. I am amazed at how much my social circle has grown in the past 5 years. I've heard that you can't have too many friends, but is this true? Some people say that you can't be friends with everyone or you won't be a friend to anyone. Maybe this is true? How do you balance that?


As new people are added to my life, I feel my world grow a little larger. I have found that these new people don't always "mesh" with my personality necessarily. Some aren't the type who I would seek out a relationship with but maybe we are put together by chance.. by circumstances.. by mutual friends. In my experience, these are the people who lead me to grow the most.. who I learn a lot from. More people definitely complicates things, but it also enriches your life in ways that you may not even realize.


I truly believe that God puts people in our lives. It may be "for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.." but how do we know if we don't open ourselves up to it? It's okay to have favorites.. Lord knows I have mine :) but I think you also have to love people just as they are and not compare them to your other friends. What good would it be for all our friends to be exactly the same? We need the variety to keep us balanced! And we can't hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. We judge others by their actions but ourselves by our intentions. How fair is that? Everyone is going to let you down at some point.. going thru conflicts & resolutions.. forgiveness.. that's what builds a deeper, more meaningful relationship. If you give up on a person you miss out on so much!


I think this quote from the amazing Audrey Hepburn sums it up best..


People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.


I think you can hold on to the people that have been there all along and still let new people in. I believe that the more love we give away, the more we have to give. I believe you have to be OPEN to new people, new experiences to really live! I think there is so much that God offers us that we miss out on because it's out of our "comfort zone." I believe that our life on earth is all about people and you should never push anyone away or test their devotion. What are we here for if not to lessen the burden of others! I think if you change your mentality from who is there for me to who can I be there for a whole new world opens up to you.. and that world is called real Friendship.. ever heard of it?


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more sista!!! And I definitely think you should compile all of your blogs into a book!! you have a gift! <3 u

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)

Beholding & Becoming

“It’s impossible to behold what He has made and not be humbled as the created.” This beautiful book seeped in the richness of God’s Word ...