Sunday, July 19, 2009

Yearbook Reunion

Last weekend I had the pleasure of taking part in something that really meant a lot to someone very special to me.. my high school yearbook advisor, trusted teacher, mentor, and now friend. Mrs. Scoggins was not your typical teacher.. pun intended for my Hookerites :) She was inspiring, encouraging, caring and creative. I was so blessed to work under her direction. Together we soared to new heights receiving national recognition and awards usually given to big schools with big budgets. I would not be who I am without her influence and the experiences I had on the yearbook staff at Hooker High. My love for writing flourished and my affection for photographs grew. I was at home in this group even if I didn't fully know it at the time. We were a family.

What Eddy & Marilyn had to endure before finally leaving Hooker is simply not fair. The way they faced trials with strength, character, and integrity is an inspiration. I feel a sad sense of loss for Hooker schools and the students there who will never get to be a part of what we had.
On Friday, July 11 a group of us traveled to Dallas, Texas where the Scoggins now reside to attempt to show them what they'd meant to us. Eddy helped us to surprise Marilyn at Taylor Publishing where she is now an editor. I will never forget the look in her eyes when she thanked us and told us that we are the reason for her success. After tears and hugs and thanking God for each other and all our many blessings we just spent time together once again, as a family. We poured through our yearbooks and pictures of us recieving awards and our many adventures together. These things are worth their weight in gold as they are all we have left of such a special time in our lives. We talked and got caught up and took more pictures and laughed.. oh how we laughed. It truely was a reunion; a homecoming. We treasured the things in the Scoggins home which brought back such memories for us of bible studies and get togethers. It was a weekend I know none of us will ever forget. As each one left I felt the fresh pain of missing them even though it had been 10 years since I'd seen some of them. They were like new friends who were old friends and I was getting to know them all over again. Its a second chance, for me, to appreciate these people who I'd taken for granted as a teenager but who mean the world to me even now.


To ALL my yearbook comrades: I love each one of you and look forward to the day when we will meet again. Until then, you will be in my prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Well Shannon I got all choked up reading this. It's a piece of home for sure. Marilyn and Eddy have always been special to me too. I loved seeing their pics. Eddy called me a few years back and we've emailed from time to time. It made me realize that I need to drop them a line. I know Marilyn well and I know that this meant the world to her. I can only imagine the surprise on her face...what a wonderful wonderful idea...thanks for sharing. Love you. Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)

Beholding & Becoming

“It’s impossible to behold what He has made and not be humbled as the created.” This beautiful book seeped in the richness of God’s Word ...