Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Don't put off to tomorrow what you could do TODAY

It's Tuesday morning and I hear the kids giggling and sneaking down the hall. They're with one of their cousins who stayed the night. I already hear talk of what each wants for breakfast and what they want to play afterwards. I see beside me a scattered mess of papers & some of the most random objects like old remotes, cords, a broken dvd player, screwdrivers, a charm to one of Princess' many necklaces. I think to myself why am I so unorganized and messy.. and lazy. I could throw out the usual excuses about how it's my summer off and we've been gone a lot and I just haven't caught up yet, but the truth is I just haven't done much WORK the past two months. I've let it all slide, doing just enough to get by. Sure I start out all gung ho when I wake up in the morning, takling little jobs left & right, but then I get distracted. Sometimes it's playing with the kids, other times it's playing on the computer. I've accepted any social invite that's come our way and yet when my Pastor asked me a few weeks ago if I was -living my summer to the fullest- I had to stop and ponder it. He didn't ask if I was enjoying my summer like most people do. That I could easily say yes to. I've ENJOYED laying around by the pool watching the kids swim & soaking up the sun. I ENJOYED talking with friends, having get-togethers, laying on the couch w/ my hubby watching movies & random television. I've ENJOYED sleeping in late, playing on Sorority Life & Farm Town & Bejeweled while sipping my coffee and not even showering til noon.
But have I lived the summer to it's fullest?
Time to be honest. No.
Have I been keeping up with my morning devotional? No. Have I been praising & praying as much as I should? No. Have I been cooking meals for my family more than we've been eating out? No. Have I let us become lazy, leaving things laying around, staying up to late, eating too many snacks throughout the day? Yes. Have I become to lax? Yes.
I know the answers, I've just been avoiding the questions. And now here it is the last of July. Soon I will be back to wishing I had a mere 5 minutes to myself to be lazy.
What I've found to be a blessed truth is that Lazieness breeds Laziness! There no escape from that or excuse that changes it. It is what it is. The more you lay around.. the more you feel the need to lay around. The more you oversleep.. the more you feel the need to sleep. It's Satan's playground and Laziness is it's name.
I've prayed for God to rescue me from it's hold, but now I realize it requires action from me. Time to get off my keister and get to work! And there's no time like the present. The time is NOW!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what to say. Every one of these posts touched my heart in some way, but this one could have been written by me. I have found in the past few weeks that my precious cousin and I are very much alike when it comes to the things of God, and that makes me VERY happy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)

Beholding & Becoming

“It’s impossible to behold what He has made and not be humbled as the created.” This beautiful book seeped in the richness of God’s Word ...